Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Obama's Healthcare

In recent weeks Obama has been discussing a universal health care plan to ensure Americans have health coverage. And in recent days he has been discussing malpractice and the thought of placing a cap on malpractice suits. Both are very valid issues that need to be addressed in the United States. I have seen first hand how Socialized Medicine works. In September 2007 fell ill with a rare form of cancer. I was diagnosed in a small coastal city in New Zealand. Upon arrival to the hospital it took hours to be seen by a doctor and then another three days to start the necessary tests to properly diagnose my illness. Once diagnosed it took another five days to complete the necessary paperwork to start treatment. The doctors were great and the care I received was tremendous, but I strongly feel that if I was in the United States with my medical/insurance card I would have been diagnosed in 75% less time and begun treatment much sooner. On the other side of the coin is the issue of so many Americans with NO insurance at all. This is a major issue and it is not going to go away in the near future.

Another hot topic recently is the amount of high end malpractice suits. I understand a life is precious and I can not say I would be thinking with a clear mind if I (or a family member) would be in a situation that a medical professional would neglect me or misdiagnose me. The end result could be detrimental. However, some law suits that come through for malpractice are insane. I personally know an individual that was misdiagnosed by her physician for months. She sued him for millions of dollars only to settle out of court for a fraction of the cost (she still walked away with millions). Was it necessary? She is still an able bodied individual. She lived a very normal life a able to carry on a good job. Is it the revenge factor? With this suit being settled the doctor will now have to pay higher premiums for his malpractice insurance. Insurance companies are getting hit everyday with these frivolous suits when that money can be sunk back into the health care system. Would a malpractice cap help our economy and out health care system?

More to come....








(My brother and I at Geisinger)

No comments:

Post a Comment